If you are. . .
What is Beyond
the Bone Bodywork?
What People are Saying
Orr Hot Springs
Code of Ethics
As a member of Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals, I hereby pledge to abide by the ABMP
Code of Ethics as outlined below.
- I shall endeavor to serve the best interests of my clients at all times and to provide the
highest quality massage and bodywork possible.
- I shall maintain clear and honest communications with my clients and shall keep client
- I shall acknowledge the limitations of my skills and, when necessary, refer clients to the
appropriate qualified health care professional.
- I shall in no way instigate or tolerate any kind of sexual advance while acting in the capacity of
a massage, bodywork, somatic therapy or esthetic practitioner.
Scope of Practice / Appropriate Techniques
- I shall maintain the highest standards of professional massage conduct, providing services in an ethical
and professional manner in relation to my clientele, business associates, health care professionals,
and the general public.
- I shall respect the rights of all ethical practitioners and will cooperate with all health care
professionals in a friendly and professional manner.
- I shall refrain from the use of any mind-altering drugs, alcohol, or intoxicants prior to or during
professional massage sessions.
- I shall always dress in a professional manner, proper dress being defined as attire suitable and
consistent with accepted business and professional massage practice.
- I shall not be affiliated with or employed by any business that utilizes any form of sexual
suggestiveness or explicit sexuality in its advertising or promotion of services, or in the actual
practice of its services.
Image / Advertising Claims
- I shall provide services within the scope of the ABMP definition of massage, bodywork,
somatic therapies and skin care, and the limits of my training. I will not employ those massage,
bodywork or skin care techniques for which I have not had adequate training and shall represent
my education, training, qualifications and abilities honestly.
- I shall be conscious of the intent of the services that I am providing and shall be aware of and
practice good judgment regarding the application of massage, bodywork or somatic
- I shall not perform manipulations or adjustments of the human skeletal structure, diagnose,
prescribe or provide any other service, procedure or therapy which requires a license
to practice chiropractic, osteopathy, physical therapy, podiatry, orthopedics, psychotherapy,
acupuncture, dermatology, cosmetology, or any other profession or branch of medicine
unless specifically licensed to do so.
- I shall be thoroughly educated and understand the physiological effects of the specific massage,
bodywork, somatic or skin care techniques utilized in order to determine whether
such application is contraindicated and/or to determine the most beneficial techniques to apply to a
given individual. I shall not apply massage, bodywork, somatic or skin care techniques
in those cases where they may be contraindicated without a written referral from the client's
primary care provider.
- I shall strive to project a professional image for myself, my massage business, my place of employment,
and the massage/bodywork profession in general.
- I shall actively participate in educating the public regarding the actual benefits of massage,
bodywork, somatic therapies and skin care.
- I shall practice honesty in advertising, promote my massage services ethically and in good taste, and
practice and/or advertise only those techniques for which I have
received adequate training and/or certification. I shall not make false claims regarding the
potential benefits of the techniques rendered.